Monday, April 6, 2009

Week 9: Thing #20 YouTube

I use YouTube quite a bit to look for short videos that might act as hooks to a lesson, as well as provide background knowledge through image and sound. The problem I have faced using YouTube in the school is the fact that our school district blocks this this site. One way around it is to use a free video converter site, but I need to do the conversion at home where YouTube isn't blocked. I use vixy.net to do my conversions, which convert the movies to Quicktime. Teachertube is another good resource, but often doesn't have the videos I've found on YouTube that I'd like to use in the classroom.

The video I chose to add to this posting is called Dancing by Matt Harding. Our school just finished a ballroom dancing artist-in-residency program and the joy, etiquette, teamwork and breaking down of barriers that resulted from our kids dancing together reminded me of this video. As one comment about the video stated,"Different language, same dance, same happiness ... the world is connected. This video gives hope. Thank you for that."

3 comments:

  1. I always enjoy seeing what videos people find for this part of the class. This is a great one.

    thanks

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Lorrie! I hope this leads to some good collaborative discussion for this group.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. A new favorite video. This is great. I want to go to all those places.
    You found a great video.

    ReplyDelete